The Springs is located in Leakey, in the heart of the Frio Canyon in the deep southwestern Hill Country. Drive five miles south of The Springs to Happy Hollow and be among the hundreds of folks who come to float the Frio River every weekend from spring through fall. Or drive just another five minutes south to hike or float through Garner State Park or enjoy their nightly dances. Drive a little further down the road towards Concan to experience a summer concert at House Pasture or a round of golf at the newly renovated Frio Valley Golf Club. Leakey is also just 30 minutes south of the famous YO Ranch where our guests can go horseback riding or tour exotic game. Also within a 30-minute drive from the The Spring, along the famous “Twisted Sisters” roadways, is Camp Wood to the west, Utopia to the southeast, and Vanderpool and Lost Maples State Park directly east of Leakey.
Guests can walk five minutes to downtown Leakey and enjoy local shops and cultural sites which contribute to the area’s charms. And be sure to take in some of the local favorite dining spots in town, like Leakey Drug Coffee Shop & Wine Bar, Gypsy Sally’s, Mill Creek Cafe, Mama Choles, Bear’s Den, Leakey BBQ, La La’s or Vinny’s Pizza. Or drive a few minutes east to Texas Canon for some of the best BBQ in the Hill Country, or a few miles west of town to Nick’s favorite burger spot, The Bent Rim Grill, and enjoy the hill country view on their outdoor dining patio.
Nearest International Airports:
105 miles: San Antonio, TX (SAT / KSAT) San Antonio International Airport
177 miles: Austin, TX (AUS / KAUS) Austin-Bergstrom International Airport
Uvalde, TX: 40 miles
Kerrville, TX: 66 miles
Fredericksburg, TX: 87 miles
San Antonio, TX: 100 miles
Austin, TX: 169 miles
Houston, TX: 294 miles
Dallas, TX: 348 miles
Sample itinerary for spending a weekend at The Springs:
- Arrive at The Springs in the afternoon, check into your cabin and get comfortable.
- Walk down to the water to soak in the sunset golden hour by the Cypress trees.
- Go enjoy dinner and drinks at Gypsy Sallys.
- Come back to The Springs to roast s’mores and stargaze!
- Make breakfast in the cabin with a fully-fitted kitchen (pick up groceries from Leakey Mercantile or Bear’s Market).
- [Active option] Head down to Garner State Park or Lost Maples to hike beautiful nature trails.
- [Adventurous option] Spend a few hours floating the Frio River with Happy Hollow, or float in our own very backyard!
- [Relaxed option] Visit local antique stores and go window shopping throughout Leakey.
- Grill out for dinner or walk to one of the many nearby restaurants and come back for smores around the firepit or play board games in your cabin.
- Morning yoga or meditation on the bank of the springs.
- Brunch at Leakey Drug.
- Check out and head home!